Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A New Day

A new day begins- my first morning here in France, and what a beautiful one it is. Over Lake Geneva, across the thin 2-mile strip of Switzerland and just past the border into France, the sun pours into the optimally tidy living room in which I now sit. Books and papers neatly stacked, matching red furniture against the bright white walls, but with revealing signs of life- an uncapped pen and memo pad with scribbles of an uncompleted task, stacked vegetable crates housing hi-tech gadgets, and a well-worn slate desk displaying the menu of some past dinner party in white chalk. I know my visceral lust for this moment and place will quickly develop into a meaningful and long-lasting love.

After a long day of travel, I was picked up by family friend, host and fast-growing personal friend, hero and confidante: Faith McLellan. Spurting off tips, translations, customs and must-know bits of information like kernels flying from a haywire popcorn machine, I QUICKLY learn to always have pen and paper at hand when I am lucky enough to be in her company. This fact was later explicitly confirmed at dinner, over fresh pizza and LOTS of red wine (a result of a small miscommunication of which size carafe we wanted to replace the first carafe of wine). From Faith I have also become aware of my primary role as taskmaster of odd jobs- already fixing the Wi-Fi (thank you Gerrault & Alain), changing the oven clock, and figuring out the world's most complicated mattress cover. I am still weeks behind my ever-expanding to-do list. ( =

Though I leave behind friends and family I love, I am confident this adventure upon which I have embarked will be incredibly enjoyable, educational and exciting. I don't know much of what is to come, but I'll make sure I keep you posted as life happens.

You can certainly comment here if you so choose. Also feel free to email me at -mrcarlnelson@gmail.com- if you want to hear more details or open up more of a dialogue...the blogging experience is new and still a little weird to me. You can also find me on Skype at the same username: mrcarlnelson.

That's it for now. Au revoir!
-CARL

5 comments:

  1. You may be leaving some friends and family in the States behind, but you got a heck of a lot closer to some other of your friends and family here in Europe! Welcome, Carl! I am so excited to keep reading about your adventures and applaud your willingness to take each day as a new, exciting thing! You are truly living what it means to be alive!

    Selfishly, I am super stoked to have you so close and am counting down the days until I get to see you WAY WAY SOON!

    I look forward to reading more soon!

    Uber love,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Carl! Here's to a fabulous European adventure.

    Janet

    P.S. Can you also add to the list for Tuesday evening, "Reset Janet's and Maya's oven clock"? Damn time change. Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith McLellan. Spurting off tips, translations, customs and must-know bits of information like kernels flying from a haywire popcorn machine
    This line makes me realize that not only are you a good musician (at least I hope to confirm this someday when I hear you), but obviously also a good writer! This line cracked me up. Hah!

    ReplyDelete