Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The BIG EUROPEAN DESTINATION INVESTIGATION

Family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, interweb wayfarers...if you just engage with ONE blog posting here for the rest of history, let it be this one.

I open up a challenge to you for the benefit of all, and in the spirit of world leader and oft-perceived demi-God Barack Obama, we all must strive together to accomplish this great feat. We will need to dig deep, get creative and put forth an end result that will rock the world. I say to you this: Yes We Can.


The BIG EUROPEAN DESTINATION INVESTIGATION:
As many of you know, I will be based here in Geneva for the next seven months, and during that time I plan to do an immense amount of traveling throughout Europe. In my quest to explore the land, I aim to take advantage of your unique experiences, compile them and create an incredible database of destinations for my upcoming travels. So here's what I am looking for...
-ONE destination city/town/village
-ONE specific destination building/landmark/activity/festival in the destination city.

It's that simple. One city. One activity.

A few guidelines, rules, and tips...
-Please leave your entry as a comment on this posting.
-Please leave your name after your entry.
-Please limit yourself to ONE city. I want there only to be the best of the best.
-A focus of this compilation is frugality... think backpackers on a budget.
-Keep in mind the season. A nude beach in Trondheim, Norway will not be as spectacular in January as it is in July.
-If you absolutely can't limit yourself to a single entry, please email me directly at -mrcarlnelson@gmail.com- with additional suggestions.

And here's the best part...
For each viable entry*: I will make arrangements, visit your city, accomplish your activity, and write a blog entry about the experience! >>>Let's make sure this hits home, people- all you do is comment on this blog; then I GO there to experience and participate in some spectacular endeavor, and you find out about it afterwards right here. Fantastic, huh?
*I cannot guarantee destinations with a specific date parameters (for instance, a grape festival over a specific weekend in April) as I may have other plans. Until I get my HarperCollins book deal for this project, my bank account is finite. As such, some trips may be prioritized over others. I may not be able to reach every destination before I run out of money.

There it is. The gauntlet has been thrown. The challenge has begun. Please let your friends and neighbors know about this, as anyone is welcome to participate. If you wish to contribute to the BEDI fund, please contact me at -mrcarlnelson@gmail.com-.

I'm Carl Nelson, and I approve this message. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. In the spirit of positive role-modeling, I'll start us out...
    City: Prague, Czech Republic
    Destination: Dine at a restaurant called Peklo. It was converted from an old monastery wine cellar, and is just around the bend from a fantastic view of the Vltava River. The food was amazing and the ambience in the cave incredible. I hope it's still around, and as incredible as it was ten years ago.
    -Carl Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is far too difficult a challenge for me. Too much to choose from and I don't have favorites.

    That being said, I am curious as to what happened to Dubrovnik during the war there. It was attacked, but it seems they've rebuilt those pieces of the city. Perhaps you can let me know how it has recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since the nude beach in Trondheim is out of the picture...

    Place: Oslo, Norway
    Activity: Hike around Sognsvann and the Nordmarka area of Oslo, followed by hot chocolate at my house.

    Yes please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dalmatian coast. Swimming. Eating fresh grilled fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. Vienna. Castle Schonbrunn. Just the gardens--I'm sure the castle is lovely, but it cost money and I didn't go. But the gardens are amazing. Hedges like you wouldn't believe.

    Love you! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two favorites, but Mrs. Johnson took one, so I'll suggest the other: Paris and the top of the Sacre Coeur. And I'm talking the very tippy top. Not the mezzanine or whatever the center section is called. It'll cost you 9 euros, I think, but come see me. I'll give you the cash for that, because it's totally worth it for the view you'll have of Paris. To get up to the top of the Sacre Coeur, you have to go down to the Crypt level and take a very tiny, narrow staircase (500 steps) to the top. It's totally worth it and one of the best views of Paris you'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiking in Cinque Terre Italy. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm assuming you'd do this anyway, but just in case, you must go to Rome and see the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. Inside St. Peter's is my favorite art work ever -- La Pieta.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carl, you are making this extremely difficult. ONE city, ONE place? uhh...

    I supposed with Carl the adventurist in mind, I would have to say go to Vienna, ride the trolleys around the Ringstrasse (all the way around) and then get off at the Oper and see an opera. Not only is the opera house a detination in itself, but they put on some amazing productions. Write me an email if you want to know how to get in cheap, but you'll have to stand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I could choose only one, I think you have to go to Paris and visit the top floor of the Musee' d'Orsay: http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visits/welcome.html, where the impressionist paintings are housed. I got in free by showing my STA teacher card, but you may have to buy a ticket. In Paris, you can buy a museum pass, so you can go to all of the museums for one price, and if I were not constrained by the rules, I would encourage stops at: the a) Centre Pompidou (start on the top floor as well), b. Carnivalet (http://www.parisdigest.com/museums/museecarnavalet.htm), and c. the Louvre. Now, if you go to the Louvre, plan ahead. It's enormous and not always the positive experience people expect. Personally, I'd read about it, decide what to see, and plan a road map. It is confusing and there is so much more than you can possibly see in one day. (I don't think the Mona Lisa is the best part, either, so think about your preferences.) However, only choosing ONE, it would be the Musee' d'Orsay. And, you will never forget it!

    And, since Colleen got to guide you on a train ride as well as the Oper, I must say that in Paris, people walk. Here are AMAZING walks that I would do again in a heartbeat. We loved this and wished we had tried them earlier in our trip. It was the last thing we did, unfortunately. Choose a topic that interests you! http://www.paris-walks.com/

    Lastly, find a corner boulangerie, and order a croissant, pain au chocolat, or crunchy baguette. http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/best-boulangeries-in-paris/1

    And, we have a favorite dive, so if you want to ask for more Paris advice, I'll email you about it. But, I've already bent the rules....

    Wish we were there with you!

    Love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your almost-94-year-old Farmor asked me to post the following suggestion: "I have a suggestion for Carl in his discovery of Europe. It is a cathedral in Paris. It is St Chappell. It has the most beautiful stained glass windows I have ever seen. Everyone talks about the Notre Dame Cathedral with its beautiful Rose window, but St Chappell is more beautiful."

    ReplyDelete